Information on Doctoral thesis of Fellows Tran Viet Dung
Thesis title: Application of the Basel II Accord: International Experiences and Implications for Vietnam
1. Full name: Tran Viet Dung
2. Sex: Female
3. Date of birth: 30/05/1977
4. Place of birth: Hanoi
5. Admission decision number: Decision No. 2224/QD-DHKT dated 03/11/2011
6. Changes in academic process: Decision no. 3295/QĐ-ĐHKT dated 19/08/2014 changed the thesis title from “Possibility of Basel II application in risk management of Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam” to “Application of the Basel II Accord: International Experiences and Implications for Vietnam”.
7. Thesis title: Application of the Basel II Accord: International Experiences and Implications for Vietnam
8. Major: International Economics
9. Code: 62 31 01 06
10. Supervisors: Assoc. Prof. PhD Nguyen Hong Son.
Assoc. Prof. PhD Tran Thi Thanh Tu
11. Summary of the new findings of the thesis
- Clarified the efficiency, flexibility and comprehensiveness of the Basel II accord as a risk management framework, as well as built the conditions for applying Basel II in the banking system
- Analyzed the experiences in application of the Basel II in China’s and Japan’s banking system.
- Analyzed the challenges in the application of the Basel II in Vietnam's banking system
- Proposed solutions for Vietnam’s banking system to successfully compliance with all three pillars of the Basel II.
12. Practical applicability, if any:
- Experiences from Japan and China (formulation and promulgation of the relevant legal framework, guidance to commercial banks, enhancement and improvement of banking supervision, etc...) can be learned by State Bank of Vietnam to create favorable conditions for commercial banks to apply the Basel II accord.
- Experiences in modeling risk measurement, data warehouses serving measure risk, risk management and maintenance of capital ratio in China’s and Japan’s commercial banks of China and Japan are of usefulness for the Vietnamese banks.
13. Further research directions, if any
- Assess the impacts of the application of the Basel II to the Vietnamese commercial banks’ operation.
- Forecast the challenges of Basel III application in the Vietnamese banking system.
14. Thesis-related publications:
 Experiences in Application of Basel II Accord in Japan’s Banking system. Vietnam Review for Indian and Asian Studies. Vol 11/2016
 Experiences in Application of Basel II Accord in China’s Banking system. Chinese Studies Review. Vol 11/2013
 Experiences from Argentina’s crisis in 2000. Americas Today. Vol 5/2003